1) They were signed by ‘the pied piper of dance’
British DJ, Pete Tong, signed Shakespears Sister, following Siobhan Fahey’s departure from Bananarama. Back then, Tong was working in A+R at London Records. Read more about his experience here.
2) They’ve won plenty of awards for their music
Shakespears Sister were nominated for Brit awards consecutively in 1990, 1991 and 1992. Highlights included winning Best Video in the Brit Awards for Stay and winning the Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contemporary Song Collection for their album, Hormonally Yours.
3) Their video for Stay was created by the director responsible for some of the most seminal music videos of today.
The iconic video for their single, Stay, was directed by award-winning director Sophie Muller. Sophie went on to direct videos for who’s who of music that includes Beyoncé, No Doubt, Kings of Leon and The Killers. The band reunite with Muller on their newer material.
4) Stay also topped the charts
In 1992, the single was number one in the UK for eight weeks and in the US Top 5. Plus Hormonally Yours sold over 1 million albums in the UK.
5) On top of reuniting, they’re releasing new music
Singles Party is Shakespears Sisters’ latest album release, which features all the of the band’s new singles, as well as two new tracks. The latter are produced by Nick Launay, who count the likes of Nick Cave, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Arcade Fire as past credits.