A revolutionary app for accessibility
We take great pride in putting our audiences at the heart of everything we do.
We’re dedicated to understanding the access requirements of our visitors and to the ongoing improvement of accessibility in our venues.
That’s why we’ve partnered with GalaPro – a revolutionary app for accessibility, which enhances your experience at live performances. You can use the app to enjoy the show with subtitles, audio description and closed captioning. All services are provided in real-time.
Closed Captions – CC On your own device
Use closed captioning (CC) to follow along and enjoy the show on your own device. CC is always available in the spoken language of the performance. Use the app settings to adjust font size and brightness. This service can be used in tandem with any audio service available at the show.
Audio Description – AD On your own device
Connect your headphones to connect from every seat in the theatre.
Connect your headphones or induction neck loop before the show begins to hear the pre-show description that includes character, set, and surroundings description. Listen along during the show to hear a detailed account of the action happening on stage.
How Does it Work?
Simply download the app, search by city or current location. Choose your preferred theatre and show, and the right accessibility service for you. Sounds too easy? Here’s our step by step guide…
Before you arrive
- Download the GalaPro app for free from the App Store or Google Play (search for Galapro).
- New users select “Get Started Now” and enter your email address and create a password. Familiarise yourself with the app.
- Tap the compass arrow in the top left corner to select your city – you may need to scroll
- Choose your chosen show on the home page where you can see show information and the services available.
- In the top right there is also a menu icon, click this and in the list you’ll find a short tutorial on how to use the app. If you’re planning to use an audio service, don’t forget to bring your headphones with you.
When you’re in the theatre, right before the show
- Set your phone to Airplane mode
- Turn on Wi-Fi and choose the GalaPro Wi-Fi with the password “galapro1” (all lowercase). If required, tap the compass arrow in the top left corner to select your city – don’t forget you may need to scroll
- Choose the show from the list and select your desired service. The Audio Description service will begin before the show describing the set. The Closed Caption service will start when the show begins.
If you have any questions, please ask a member of our team who will be happy to help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I disturb the rest of the audience?
You’ll be in airplane mode, so you don’t need to worry about messages or phone calls interrupting you.
GalaPro also displays on a black screen with red or grey font so the text can only be read when you’re looking down at your phone and there are no bright lights to disturb anyone. Not even the person sat next to you.
So, go ahead, download, enjoy the show and let GalaPro make sure you understand it all.
What if I don’t have a smart phone?
Don’t worry if you haven’t got a smartphone or if you’ve forgotten your headphones, we have a limited number of suitable devices and earphones available at the theatre. Just ask a member of our team on arrival.
Does it work with an induction loop?
We can connect an induction neck loop to the device if you prefer to use it with your own hearing aids switched to the ‘T’ Position. These can’t be prebooked and just need to be requested on arrival.
Is audio amplification available?
The Theatre has a limited number of Sennheiser audio packs available for audio amplification. Each comes with headphones and have a volume control.